Routine care and wellness can consist of anything from regular mammogram screenings to good nutrition. Your first OB/GYN visit should be around the age of 18 years or sooner if you have a gynecologic problem or begin sexual activity.
No matter what your age, consistent and intelligent care can help promote better health and wellness.
Well woman visits are typically scheduled annually. They may include:
- a general physical exam, including a breast exam
- a pelvic exam and Pap smear
- a review of changes in your work, lifestyle and personal and family health history
- a review of the medications, herbs, and supplements you are taking
- an evaluation of the need for health screening tests, such as a mammogram or tests for sexually transmitted diseases and colon cancer
- a review of your immunizations and vaccines
There are several things you can do to help prepare for your well woman visit. Here are a few:
- If this is your first OB/GYN appointment, if there is a specific reason for your appointment, or if you would like to have someone accompany you, let the scheduler know.
- If this is a non-emergency visit, schedule it for the middle of your menstrual cycle.
- For two days prior to your appointment, do not have intercourse or insert anything into your vagina.
- Write down your questions ahead of time.
- Be prepared to discuss your medical history and bring old records if you can.
- Bring a list of your current medications, including vitamins and supplements.